Thursday, October 19, 2006

Cat Food


One month after Slow Coach and Harriet came into our family, I took them for their first outing. Our garden compound. It meant a whole new world to these two fifty cent size tortoises.

As soon as they were lifted out from their plastic container and released on the ground, they crawled away in excitement. They explored every corner of the garden under the protective gaze of their guardian (ahem…angel). I made sure they played hide and seek away from the human traffic, just in case my little sister decides to practice her cycling skill.

They were never out of my sight until I heard a soft meowing sound behind me. It seemed that I was not the only one who had my eyes on them. The way the alley cat crouched on the waist-high wall screamed cat food! Immediately, I scooped the oblivious baby tortoises into my hands and carried them safely indoor.

After such a close call, they were never allowed to venture further than the living room until they grew larger. I’m sure the alley cat would have loved to try some exotic seafood.

No comments: