Friday, November 03, 2006

Chicken Soup for the Tortoises



Tortoises like human welcome a change of menu once in a while to keep them stimulated. Slow Coach and Charlie love meat. No vegetable, please. They would rather fast than swallow a piece of green leaf.

Tonight, Slow Coach and Charlie are having chicken soup (minus the soup) for dinner. Actually, they are sharing the chicken from our soup. They are our de facto back-up in case we can’t finish our food. That is meat only, of course. Vegetable is totally out of the question.

I shred the chicken meat into small pieces, like chicken floss. It is important that I remember to add a dash of soy sauce onto the meat for seasoning. Both Slow Coach and Charlie are picky eaters. Especially Slow Coach. The first time when I fed them meat from the soup, they refused to eat. They took a sniff at the meat and then looked at me.

It was as if they were telling me, “Hey dude, can’t expect me to eat that chicken, man. It’s totally tasteless!”

Then, I tried to add a little soy sauce onto the meat and voila! They finished their food. Mum wasn’t exactly pleased of the soy sauce intervention. It took me a while to convince her that there was nothing wrong with her cooking. =P

They sure have distinctive palates for tortoises. =)

No comments: